zaterdag 30 januari 2016

Sketchcrawl 2: Train World

On a rainy Saturday the Belgian Urban Sketchers arranged to meet at the Train World Museum in Schaerbeek (near Brussels).  After a nice warm hot coco we got our stuff together, bought our tickets and ventured inside this very new museum. The first hall was mostly models so we skipped it and walked right true to where the trains were. The first thing we noticed was that is was very dark. I didn't think that to be a big problem. (Little did I know!) After passing through a few halls that where as dark we entered a bigger and light hall (thanks to the giant windows). We put up our little chairs and started drawing. I choose a small locomotive. Most others chose to draw 2 very big ones in the centre of the room.


I finished relatively quickly. I did notice over the last weeks that I work pretty quickly. This comes at a cost of less details, less perfect lines and a overall more messy sketch. I don't really mind it but it is something I am aware of. While letting this one dry I walked around the the museum. It was very fun to see all the old railcars. From war to person right up until the transport of the Royal family.Very interesting.

The next sketch was the inside of a railcar used for the transportation of militair personel from an too the battle front in the world wars. This place was a bit darker and there I learned that dark places an sketching don't go well... Yeah, I did ink it but it's a bit of a mess.
Watching at it now it's a little bit than I remembered better but I learned my lesson about lighting...

When I got back I found some people trying to buy the Early-bird passes for the USK Symposium in Manchester. Only 1 got here ticket. There where about 250 tickets (I think at least) and they sold out in about 3 minutes!! They still can buy tickets beginning March 5, so not all hope is lost. Just bad luck.

After these two perspective driven and sort off challenging  sketches I looked up an easier subject. 
I decide to draw the backside of a TEE carriage (Trans-european Express)

 Half  way true the sketch I got really hungry. I joined a few other sketchers at the restaurant for a quick lunch after which I returned back to my spot for a little bit of paint on that sketch.

The day was coming to an end but I found the time to put in a last sketch. 
The window from the TEE from the outside. 
After that back to the restaurant for some more coco, looking at others people sketchbooks and some good conversation. Not much later the restaurant closed en we all took the train home. A great day and a great event!! Now it's waiting for the next sketchcrawl...


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten